What this policy covers
JCS Online Resources (JCS) is committed to protecting your personal information and being transparent about what information we hold about you.
Developing a better understanding of our subscribers and enquirers allows us to represent you better in our negotiations with publishers and provide you with information and updates applicable to your sector.
We have made improvements to this Policy so that transparency is at the core of what we do and comply with the General Data Protection Regulation.
The purpose of this Policy is to give you a clear explanation about how JCS collects and uses the personal information you provide to us and information that we collect, whether online, via phone, email, or from our publisher partners.
We ensure that we use your information in accordance with all applicable laws concerning the protection of personal information. This policy explains:
- What information JCS may collect about you;
- How we will use that information;
- Whether we disclose your details to anyone else;
- Your choices regarding the information you provide to us; and
If you have any queries about this privacy and cookies policy, please contact our Data Controller via email@example.com.
Who we are
JCS offers a centralised and streamlined licensing and subscription service for products from multiple publishers, including a quick and easy-to-use online trial request, quotation and ordering system known as My JCS.
We negotiate with publishers on behalf of Schools worldwide, as well as Further Education Colleges and Public Libraries in the UK, to achieve the best possible pricing for an expanding range of high quality e-resources.
JCS is registered at Companies House under registration number 7462992 and our registered office is 30 St Giles, Oxford, OX1 3LE. We are also registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office under registration number Z2709834.
Information we collect
We may collect and process information about you:
(a) When you interact with us directly by:
- Visiting our website;
- Contacting us via the JCS Online Resources website to opt-in to our information emails or to submit a licence acceptance form for one of our online resources such as the Churchill Archive;
- Taking part in customer surveys and questionnaires hosted on our website or via third party survey tools; and
- Contacting us either in writing by email, or by calling our customers services number.
- Contacting us via our ‘My JCS’ website to request a free trial, a price quote or to register for an account.
(b) From third parties
- When you interact with a third party such as one of our publisher partners about their products and you give them permission to share your contact information with us;
The information you provide to us may include: name, email address, phone number, job title, institution or company name, country, state, information on online resources you are enquiring about or have shown an interest in. It may also include IP address when you subscribe to one our online resources.
Information we collect about you may include: information about your institution, information about your interaction with our website collected using cookies stored on your device, your IP which is a number indicating the country you are in.
How and why we use your information
We use your information to:
- Provide you with the product or service requested by you;
- If you are a customer, to administer and process your subscriptions, provide you with customer services and service messages relating to your subscriptions, update our records and generally maintain your accounts with us.
- Facilitate the fulfilment of your subscription by forwarding to the publisher the information you have provided us during the subscription process.
- Personalise the content of our emails based on your location.
- Provide you with information about our products, services and events that we believe will be of interest to you, via email or phone if you sign up with us. You may withdraw your consent at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link on any of our emails, or change your communication preferences by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tell you via email about changes to the JCS website or the My JCS site.
- Manage customer requests, inquiries, and run occasional surveys and questionnaires.
- Request testimonials about products and our service
- If you apply to work with us, to process that application.
- To comply with any legal, regulatory or corporate governance obligations and good practice or in connection with legal proceedings or investigations.
- We do not sell, trade or rent information on our users to any third parties.
Sharing customer information outside of the EEA
Where we share your personal information to publishers in countries outside of the EEA for the purposes of your subscription, we will take appropriate measures to protect your privacy and your personal information, by obtaining assurances from the recipients (to the extent permitted by law) that they will safeguard your personal information in a manner that is consistent with this Notice.
Visitors to our websites
When someone visits our websites at www.jcsonlineresources.org we collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site. We collect this information in a way which does not identify anyone. We do not make any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our main website. We will not associate any data gathered from this site with any personally identifying information from any source. If we do want to collect personally identifiable information through our website, we will be upfront about this. We will make it clear when we collect personal information and explain what we intend to do with it.
We take appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data, and even though we take these measures, we cannot guarantee its security if you transfer information over the Internet to us.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you would like to request access to the personal information we hold on you. In the event of any inaccuracies, you may ask to have this information corrected. We may need to ask for proof of identity before we share any personal information with you and to charge you a small fee for providing you with your personal data, as permitted by applicable law.
Third Party Sites
Keeping your personal data
As part of the subscription or registration process and continued use of JCS services, you agree that any registration information you give to JCS will always be accurate, correct and up to date. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org should you need to amend any of your personal information.
We will cleanse personal information every 2 years or if you are a customer we will keep it for as long as required to fulfil your subscription(s) and provide you with the necessary customer service.
When your information is no longer required, we will ensure it is disposed of in a secure manner. We will require up to 2 weeks to complete the cleansing.
Changes to our Policy notice
We may need to update and to change this Policy at any time and, where appropriate and possible, these changes will be notified to you by e-mail. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes.
How to contact us
If you wish to find out more about your rights or if you are not satisfied with our response and wish to make a complaint, please contact the Information Commissioners Office at http://ico.org.uk.