(Only available to International Schools in Europe) Examines more than five centuries of the African-American experience
Covering more than 500 years of the African-American experience, African-American History offers a fresh way to explore the full spectrum of African-American history and culture.
Users can start their investigation of a topic with a video or slideshow overview, use key content called out on the homepage to find an entryway into the database, or dig deep into a subject or era through the Topic Centers. Read about key figures and events, examine famous speeches and other primary sources, and get context from the in-depth timelines.
Subjects covered include: Abolitionist Movement, Underground Railroad, Emancipation Proclamation, Great Black Migrations, Harlem Renaissance, Civil Rights Act of 1964.
African-American History is one of the resources included in the cross-searchable History Research Center, click here to see the other resources available.
Discounts Available: African-American History is an Infobase Database, discounts are available when subscribing to any 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6+ databases at the same time (not including e-books or video streaming collections). See all other databases here.
(Only available to International Schools in Europe)
- Topic Centers showcasing the best resources for each topic
- Thousands of primary sources
- Videos, images, maps and slideshows
- Biographies of civil rights activists, trailblazing military figures, abolition leaders, Harlem Renaissance figures, major musicians, leading scientists, and influential writers
- Editorially selected pro/con articles on hundreds of controversies in history
- Overview essays giving extensive background on relevant historical topics and eras
- Book chapters from authoritative print titles
- Curriculum tools featuring writing and research tips for students and teaching staff
Access is available via IP Authentication, Referring URL, Shibboleth, Username and Password.
To find out more about how the different access options work please see our General Access Information.
Usage statistics and MARC records are available in the admin portal