(Only available to International Schools in Europe) Examines more than five centuries of the African-American experience
Covering more than 500 years of the African-American experience, African-American History offers a fresh way to explore the full spectrum of African-American history and culture.
Users can start their investigation of a topic with a video or slideshow overview, use key content called out on the homepage to find an entryway into the database, or dig deep into a subject or era through the Topic Centers. Read about key figures and events, examine famous speeches and other primary sources, and get context from the in-depth timelines.
Subjects covered include: Abolitionist Movement, Underground Railroad, Emancipation Proclamation, Great Black Migrations, Harlem Renaissance, Civil Rights Act of 1964.
African-American History is one of the resources included in the cross-searchable History Research Center, click here to see the other resources available.
Discounts Available: African-American History is an Infobase Database, discounts are available when subscribing to multiple databases at the same time (not including e-books or video streaming collections). See all other databases here.
(Only available to International Schools in Europe)
- Topic Centers showcasing the best resources for each topic
- Thousands of primary sources
- Videos, images, maps and slideshows
- Biographies of civil rights activists, trailblazing military figures, abolition leaders, Harlem Renaissance figures, major musicians, leading scientists, and influential writers
- Editorially selected pro/con articles on hundreds of controversies in history
- Overview essays giving extensive background on relevant historical topics and eras
- Book chapters from authoritative print titles
- Curriculum tools featuring writing and research tips for students and teaching staff
Access is available via IP Authentication, Referring URL, Shibboleth, Username and Password, and Single Sign-On with Google.
To find out more about how the different access options work please see our General Access Information.
Usage statistics and MARC records are available in the admin portal