The leading source of information for the study of architecture, urbanism, and interior design
Offering unrivalled coverage of all aspects of architecture from almost every country in the world, Bloomsbury Architecture Library provides access to a carefully curated collection of fully-searchable text and image content.
Sir Banister Fletcher’s Global History of Architecture
The 21st edition of this landmark reference work is the first full re-write since Banister Fletcher was alive, with updates by over 100 experts with a global focus, reflecting the latest scholarship in global architecture history. It covers pre-history to the present day in two volumes, seven parts, and 102 chapters that clearly divide 6,000 years of architecture history with descriptions of major buildings accompanied by over 2,200 photographs, drawings, and building plans including new and original material.
The library features scholarly eBooks on architecture, architectural history, theory design, urbanism, landscape, and interiors, including The Handbook of Interior Architecture and Design. The collection features leading scholars and books that appeal to all levels, from introductory texts for students, to guides for practicing architects and designers.
- 21st edition of Sir Banister Fletcher’s Global History of Architecture, fully rewritten with updates from over 100 experts
- Over 40 eBooks, covering architecture, architectural history, theory, design, urbanism, landscape, and interiors
- Featured content including: China – Architecture as a cultural force; Mesoamerica – Culture and nature; Temporary Architecture – From industrial ruins to pop up shops
- Explore content by place, period, style, and peoples and cultures
- Coming Spring 2019: Building pages with key information about the world’s most important buildings; a clickable world map linked to building pages and articles; an interactive timeline; and an essential glossary where students can look up key terms
IP Authentication, Referring URL, Single sign-on, Username and Password
To find out more about how the different access options work please see our General Access Information.
Usage statistics are available when you log in to your account via the Bloomsbury Administration Portal
Promotional materials and downloads
Promote awareness of Bloomsbury Architecture Library in your library, with flyers, posters, and web and email banners, available to download here.
What content is available in Bloomsbury Architecture Library?
Bloomsbury Architecture Library offers the landmark 21st edition of Sir Banister Fletcher’s Global History of Architecture, fully rewritten with updates from over 100 experts, and an expanding range of eBooks, covering architecture, architectural history, theory, design, urbanism, landscape, and interiors (42 available at launch).
Is the content included in Bloomsbury Architecture Library available online anywhere else?
Sir Banister Fletcher’s Global History of Architecture 21st edition and a majority of the eBooks on the platform are available online exclusively in Bloomsbury Architecture Library. A limited number of eBooks in the resource are available on Bloomsbury Design Library.
Does the resource cover architecture across countries?
The resource offers unrivalled coverage of all aspects of architecture from almost every country in the world. Sir Banister Fletcher’s Global History of Architecture is an acclaimed resource with unmistakable illustrations and new color photographs. The 21st edition has been entirely rewritten with a global focus, reflecting the latest scholarship in global architecture history.
How is ‘architecture’ defined?
Bloomsbury Architecture Library features a wide selection of works on architecture and related disciplines including urbanism, landscape, and interiors. It approaches the subject through architectural history and theory, connecting to contemporary design practice and the best current thinking about the issues that matter including: global perspectives, politics, sustainability, and the future of architectural design.
What time period is covered?
The entire span of architecture history from pre-history to the present day is covered in the Bloomsbury Architecture Library.
Will the resource be updated?
Yes, coming to the platform in spring 2019:
- Building pages with key information about the world’s most important buildings all in one place: location, date, architect, description, materials, images, and more
- A clickable world map linked to building pages and articles, making location-specific research easy
- An interactive timeline puts architecture history in perspective and provides context for movements, themes, and periods throughout architecture history
- An essential glossary where students can look up key terms
Further content updates will occur twice a year in March and October, adding new books and materials, including:
- Museum and archive image collections, including 600 images to be added from the National Archive at Kew
- Encyclopedia of Vernacular Architecture of the World
- A Cultural History of Interiors
- Bloomsbury Global Encyclopedia of Women in Architecture
Who is the resource for?
Bloomsbury Architecture Library is an invaluable resource for students, scholars, researchers, and professionals in the fields of architecture, architecture history, art history, interior design, urban studies, and landscape architecture.