Hodder Education A-Level Magazines eLibraries is a digital resource from Hodder Education. It provides educational magazines designed to help Key Stage 5 and Level 3 teachers deliver exceptional lessons, stretch and challenge students and also meet a greater range of teaching and learning needs.
Are you looking for exam specification-linked subject resources for A-levels?
Access to the A-Level Magazines will give your students the edge they need to achieve their best grades. With specially commissioned topical articles, cutting-edge research and brand-new case studies that will deepen their subject knowledge and help them develop independent learning skills, while revision support and expert exam advice will make sure they know how to perform when it really matters.
Now hosted on Hodder’s new Magazines website, users can access the current issues digitally alongside the online Archive at the same time new issues are published – so no more waiting for a year to read the current volumes online.
Which A-Level subjects are covered by the eLibrary?
There are 14 A-Level subject Magazines:
- Biological Sciences review
- Business review
- Chemistry review
- Economic review
- English review
- Geography review
- Modern History review
- Law Review (*Archive only)
- PE review
- Physics review
- Politics review
- Psychology review
- RS review
- Sociology review
Each magazine is produced by an editorial board made up of specialists in their field, many based at prestigious universities.
You can find out more about each Magazine title here.
*Please note that there are no 2023/24 issues for the Law Review, but you can enjoy access to the archive from 2009-2022 as part of the elibrary package.
See also the GCSE magazines: Hindsight (History) and Wideworld (Geography)
- No waiting for new issues to be uploaded: the digital issues are now published online at the same time as the print issues are released and made available alongside the Archives in the newly renamed eLibraries platform.
- Improved browsing: articles have been grouped by topic term, making it easier to search and browse across all 16 magazines (14 A-level & 2 GCSE subject to subscriptions* held), including through an interactive index.
- Quick and efficient searching: aimed at identifying keywords, helping teachers to find brand-new content and save time when creating lessons and activities.
- Easy identification of articles for required topics: exam specifications are listed on an article basis allowing you to find targeted materials for your lesson plans.
- Use anytime, anywhere: searchable on a wide range of devices and accessible via single-sign-on for use both in and out of the classroom.
“The Head of Physics sets homework articles from Physics Review as homework for his A-Level students, to widen and deepen their understanding of the topics covered in class and to develop an appreciation of how different areas of physics contribute to understanding a particular phenomenon. A history teacher uses Hindsight for homework with his GCSE classes; he finds the articles offer a critical historical perspective of the debates surrounding topics covered in the curriculum. The Head of Geography uses Geography Review to research recent topics to inform his own teaching of the subject.” Terri McCargar, Librarian, Latymer Upper School
Single Sign-on (SSO) : Students and teachers access the resource by entering their school Google/Microsoft email address and password. Please provide the email domain(s) used by both teachers and students when placing your order.
Username and password is also available.
To find out more about how the different access options work please see our General Access Information.
Promotional materials and downloads
Hodder Education has a selection of magazine extras to help you get more from the topics explored in the magazines, including posters, revision exercises, key topic worksheets and more.
What subjects does the Hodder Education magazine elibrary cover?
The elibrary platform contains 14 A-Level subjects and 2 GCSE subjects. The reviews included are:
- Biological Sciences Review
- Business Review
- Chemistry Review
- Economic Review
- The English Review
- Geography Review
- 20th Century History Review/Modern History Review
- A-Level Law Review (Archive 2009-2022 only)
- PE Review
- Physics Review
- Politics Review
- Psychology Review
- Religious Studies Review
- Sociology Review
The two GCSE magazines – Wideworld (Geography) and Hindsight (History) – are available as a standalone subscription or cross-searchable as an add-on subscription to the A-Level Review magazines.
What institutional subscription options are available for the Hodder Education Magazine elibraries through JCS?
JCS has negotiated the following licences for schools and FE Colleges:
- UK and British International Schools: 14 A-level Magazine eLibraries
- UK and British International Schools: Any 10 A-level Magazine eLibraries
- UK and British International Schools: 2 GCSE titles – Hindsight (History) and Wideworld (Geography)
- UK FE Colleges: Any 5, 10 or all 14 A-Level Magazine eLibraries
What is included in a Hodder Education Magazine elibraries subscription?
The current volume of the magazines are included in the eLibraries, published online at the same time as the print issues are released, along with issues from previous years from 2009 for the A-Level Review titles, 2006 for GCSE Hindsight, and 2010 for GCSE Wideworld.
Please note that the A-Level Law Review has ceased publication as of 2023, but you can enjoy full access to the archive from 2009-2022 as part of an e-library package.
Can I print articles?
Yes you can print articles, using the print functionality in your web browser.
How can I book mark an article or add an article to my lesson plan?
Each article has its own URL , which can be copied and pasted into your lesson plan or online lists.