Comprehensive coverage of literature worldwide from antiquity to today
An excellent source of high quality information about all types of literature from around the world, from antiquity to present day.
It offers access to a vast and regularly updated collection of literary criticism, reviews, biographical material, interviews and weblinks. It also includes the full text of 30,000 poems, short stories and plays.
The resource includes a useful Topic Finder tool which groups commonly occurring themes to reveal hidden connections within search terms and helps students to shape research by integrating diverse content with relevant information.
Plus the Term Frequency graph tool allows researchers to see the frequency of search terms within sets of content to begin identifying central themes and assessing how individuals, events, and ideas interact and develop over time.
- More than 850,000 full text articles, critical essays, and reviews from over 390 scholarly journals and literary magazines
- In-depth biographies of over 135,000 authors
- More than 11,000 overviews of frequently studies works, from sources including Gale’s For Students series, Literature and Its Times, and Characters in 20th-Century Fiction
- More than 8,500 interviews
- More than 6,000 links to web sites and 4,000 portraits
- Merriam-Webster’s Encyclopedia of Literature featuring 10,000 definitions of literary terms
- A useful “How to Cite” feature with export to citation tools
“It is a wonderful resource for those pupils undertaking the Pre-U in English Literature. Its accessibility and coverage allow pupils to find critical articles for their personal investigations, even on the most obscure texts and authors. The platform is attractive and intuitive and the content relevant.” James Burton, Librarian, Marlborough College
IP Authentication, Referring URL, Single sign-on, Username and Password.
To find out more about how the different access options work please see our General Access Information.
Usage statistics are available when you log in to your admin account.
Promotional materials and downloads
You will find promotional materials such as banners, social media posts, flyers, brochures and more here.
What content is included?
- Entries on 135,000 authors
- More than 850,000 articles, essays and reviews from 390 journals and magazines
- More than 75,000 selected full-text critical essays and reviews
- More than 11,000 overviews of frequently studied works
- More than 30,000 full-text poems, short stories and plays
- More than 8,500 interviews
- More 6,000 links to web sites and 4,000 portraits
- Merriam-Webster’s Encyclopedia of Literature
How often is the resource updated?
New and updated material is added continuously.
Can I sign in with a Google account?
Yes, once signed in subscribers can save, share, and/or download content (including bookmarks, personal highlights, and notes) using Google tools such as Gmail, Drive, and Docs.
What does the Google Classroom Share button do?
The button allows teachers and students to seamlessly assign or turn in content from Literature Resource Center to Google Classroom.
What is the Featured Author section?
The Featured Author provides quick facts about the author, access to a biographical entry, and critical analysis of select works.
Can I use Literature Resource Center on a mobile phone?
Yes, Literature Resource Center has a mobile responsive design, meaning it is optimised for all screen sizes, regardless of device.
What is the Topic Finder tool?
This tool generates a visual search result by topic and subtopic based on an analysis of frequently occurring and related terms in your results.