Online library of knowledge specially designed for children aged 8 to 13. Ideal for classwork, homework, projects and lesson plans.
An online library of knowledge specially designed for children aged 8 to 13
Q-files contains more than 1,600 pages of in depth and authoritative content and over 10,000 images for educational use.
Content is arranged into nine major subject headings: Science, Technology, Life, Earth, Prehistory, Space, History, Geography and Culture.
It is a safe and reliable place for students to begin to learn about how to carry out research online and how to navigate the best resources.
The pages in Q-files have been written by specialist children’s writers and every page has been submitted to the detailed scrutiny of the Q-files team of consultants. Users can therefore be assured of the highest standards of accuracy and reliability.
- The Citation tool enables students to create citations for articles in APA, MLA, Harvard, and Chicago Manual Style.
- Each page includes text, captions, bite-size facts (“Q-facts”), illustrations, and photos. Many also contain diagrams, animations, and videos.
- The home page includes links to new sections in Q-files designed for younger readers (years 1-3) called LET’S EXPLORE and news items of particular interest to children (“Q-news”).
- Teachers can create lesson plans of their own design using Q-files’ content. Images, captions and text are free to use for this purpose with no permission required.
- The Q-files search engine has been devised to make it as easy as possible for children to use. When a term is typed into the search bar, it will come up with either the right page, or offer a selection of just as handful of pages.
Username and Password, Direct Link
To find out more about how the different access options work please see our General Access Information.
Usage statistics are currently not available for Q-files.
Promotional materials and downloads
Use this colourful promotional video to let students and colleagues know about Q-files.