An online archive of music writing and journalism from the early 1960s to the present day
A unique archive of music writing sourced from the pages of the music and mainstream press, Rock’s Backpages is a treasure trove for music lovers of all ages. The archive is constantly growing, with new articles added weekly.
The vast library of 36,000+ full text articles includes reviews, interviews, features and more from the early 1960s to the present day – from Abba to Zappa, the Stones to the Stone Roses and from Elvis to Eminem. It also features over 550 exclusive, previously unpublished audio interviews with major musicians.
“We have found Rock’s Backpages useful for those researching popular music for educational purposes as well as for leisure. With classic and contemporary articles featuring a range of artists from different genres, RBP is full of nostalgia for our older users and a valuable source of rock history for the younger ones. Particularly of interest to an older male group of users, an audience that can be hard to reach.” Rosemary O’Hare, Principal Librarian, Glasgow Life/Glasgow Libraries
- The articles are available in full-text and can be searched by artist, writer, date, genre and keyword.
- Users can browse A – Z lists of subjects, artists, writers and publications.
- Written by over 700 of the biggest names in music journalism, articles are taken from the widest possible range of publications in the US and UK: from Creem and Trouser Press to Rolling Stone, and from New Musical Express and Melody Maker to MOJO.
- The archive covers all types of popular music from the 1950s to the present, and includes previously unpublished pieces about the Beatles (by Michael Lydon in 1966), the Doors (by Lester Bangs in 1975), and seminal interviews with major artists from Bob Dylan to Radiohead.
- Currently between 30 to 50 new articles are added to the archive each week.
- Users benefit from a wealth of social media content including Twitter, Tumblr and Facebook pages, and Instagram
FOR PUBLIC LIBRARIES: Download Rock’s Backpages Licence for Public Libraries
FOR FE COLLEGES: Download Rock’s Backpages Licence for FE Colleges
IP Authentication, Referring URL, Username and Password, Library ID Card
To find out more about how the different access options work please see our General Access Information.
Usage statistics are available when you log in to your admin account.
Promotional materials and downloads
Promotional and training materials can be downloaded here.