Promoting understanding of 5,000 years of world history
Explore the depths of history
World History takes learners from the ancient world to today’s headlines, delivering a chronicle of the great cultures and societies that have formed the history of the human race. Rare primary sources, reliable reference, and multi-media content put this vast topic into context for students.
Gale In Context: World History contains more than 2,200 primary source documents from Primary Source Media and other reliable providers join hundreds of acclaimed, award-winning titles from Gale, Macmillan and Scribner, including: Global Events, Historic World Leaders, Encyclopedia of Modern China, Gale Encyclopedia of World History, Middle East Conflict Reference Library and the Encyclopedia of the Renaissance among others.
Five Gale in Context databases (Global Issues, Science, Opposing Viewpoints, World History, and Environmental Studies) are available to schools in the UK through JCS. Discounts are available when subscribing to multiple databases.
- Hundreds of acclaimed full text reference works and encyclopedias from Gale, Macmillan Reference and Scribner
- Full-text periodicals and journals including History Today, The Historian, and the Spectator
- Thousands of images, videos and audio selections, from sources such as archival newsreels, The History Channel, and BBC News
- More than 2,000 maps and atlases, including interactive maps
- ReadSpeaker text-to-speech technology to support differentiated learning
- Listen or download audible versions of articles
IP Authentication, Referring URL, Single Sign-on, Username and Password
To find out more about how the different access options work please see our General Access Information.
Usage statistics are available when you log in to your admin account.
Promotional materials and downloads
Use the World History in Context Search Tips sheet for even more useful advice on navigating this resource.
There is a selection of promotional materials including blog templates, flyers, banners, bookmarks and more available here. Simply type World History in the search bar to find resource specific materials.